Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cleveland Clinic: Day 7


8/19/12


There's a new Dr. that just moved from Mississippi and started working at the Cleveland Clinic, so he's collaborating with our doctor. He came in at 7am and said we're the only people awake on the whole floor. I said "I don't know why. It's only 5am Utah time, and at home Philippe wakes up at 7. Somebody must have told him about the time change." I thought today he'd definitely sleep in since he had a seizure at midnight and when he has them in the morning he always sleeps for 3-4 hours afterwards, but he was up and running around playing with toys as happy as ever. Until the nurse came in to flush his IV, he always hates that. The end part you screw the syringe into popped off! 

The nurses said she'd never EVER seen or heard of that happening before. She tried to put on a new piece at the end, but it didn't work. So she asked the doctor if we need it and they said he can go without an IV until his MRI on Tuesday. So his hand is free and he's happy he can grab things and play with toys better And since his hand isn't all wrapped up and it can fit into his shirt sleeve I can put on his own clothes now! :)

Today Belle met her Grandma!!! My parents drove all the way from Virginia yesterday and got here at midnight and went right to sleep in the Ronald McDonald house. This morning they came over to hangout with us in the hospital. Belle loves her grandma! My mom is seriously the sweetest grandma! She's so patient, and loves her grand babies :)


Philippe had an awesome time with grandpa today too. He even gave him a kiss, which is really, really special! (I've gotten less than 10 from him his whole life!) He kisses Belle all the time also!



Before we came to Cleveland they told us we'd do a 5-day EEG, then have the weekend off, then we'd have an appointment Tuesday, then go home. Well, the plan changed and they added a couple appointments for Monday and Tuesday, and they said since he has appointments that they'd just keep him hooked up to the machines over the weekend. Then if he has another seizure they'll get it recorded. But all week I was looking forward to going to church. There's a church just a few blocks from the hospital we were going to walk to. I had packed our church clothes and everything! Well Brendan's mom, Joy (across the hall from us) told me she called the Missionaries, so they came to give us the sacrament! It was so great!



Afterwards one of the nurses asked me "who were those guys in suits?" I told her "guys from church". She said "oh... I thought they were professional athletes here to see your son. But they saw the people across the hall too, so I was way confused". I laughed and said, "nope. Not athletes. We're LDS. They are too. They're just guys from church we asked to stop by." That was my best on-the-spot, quick explanation. 



After dinner it was time for my parents to drive back to Virginia and steal my sister with them. (ok, ok it's not really "stealing" since she was their daughter before she turned into my free live-in nanny. But Crystle is my little buddy that I love having around. Plus she's AMAZING with my kids! And the biggest help!) It was sad to only see my parents for a day, and to see Crystle go, even though I'll have her back at my house in a week :)



As terrified as I am to be all alone with my kids again, it's nice to be able to have this time with them all in the same room and we just hangout and play (in between doctor appointments and the nurses popping and out all the time). I LOVE my kids and will do anything for them.

1 comment:

  1. I wish i could be there Candice...thanks for the update...hang in there little buddy you're doing great :) love aunt Chandra.

    ReplyDelete