Thursday, August 16, 2012

Part 2: Charlotte Airport


We got to Charlotte around 7am. I waited until everyone was off the plane to strap on my back pack, sling on my diaper bag, and hold 1 kid in each arm to exit the plane. 
One of the flight attendants told me they couldn't leave until I did. They all stood and watched as I set Belle in her carseat, and with sleeping Philippe in one arm I put my bags down, opened the stroller, buckled Philippe in, and hooked the carseat into the stroller.

When I finished situating my kids and grabbed my bags again, I started pushing my stroller into the airport. One obviously annoyed flight attendant said really loudly to his buddy "We can FINALLY go get some sleep". I wanted to punch the guy in the throat, but instead I smiled and said "Sorry for holding you guys up. Thanks so much for being so patient."

I grabbed Burger King for breakfast since I didn't see many options. When I went to sit at our gate a lady saw me and asked if I was traveling by myself. I said yes. She said "oh my goodness! Honey, when we board the plane I'll help you. Don't worry." About 30 minutes later an older couple came and sat by us at the gate. She was cooing at Belle and talking to Philippe. She asked who else was flying with me to help me with my babies. I told her no one since my sister didn't have a seat on the flight. She said "Ok, when we board just tell me what to do! I can carry your bags, one of your kids, you just tell me. I'll help you."

When boarding time came, I didn't expect any help, but before I even stood up both ladies grabbed a bag and said "which seat are you in?". I was in row 5 so they set down my bags, helped me get my kids settled, and went to their seats. The man behind me offered to put one of my bags in the over-head bin for me, but they fit under the seat. The couple across the aisle said they'd help with my kids during the flight if I needed it. Everyone was so nice and offering to help with everything. This is why I love the South! Not only because I can say y'all and people don't look at me strange, but because "southern hospitality" is priceless. I was relieved and grateful because I truly DID need help, but it's always so hard for me to ask for it. Relieved and relaxed, my kids and I took a nap as the plane took off for Cleveland.

- Candice

No comments:

Post a Comment