Friday, August 24, 2012

Cleveland Clinic: Day 8


Today we had an early breakfast because we have an early appointment with the eye doctor. Optic nerve damage and neurological issues can sometimes be linked, so we have to get Philippe's eyes checked. It's been 2 years, so I guess we're over-due. 

We went to the eye doctor's exam room and the nurse put drops in Philippe's eyes to dilate them. It bugged him a lot :( 



Then she told us to wait in the lobby for 30 minutes and she'll come get us again... 

If you're ever in the mood to be stared at by a lot of people, all you have to do is just hold a sleeping newborn on your shoulder and use your other hand to push a toddler around in a wheel chair. It helps if the toddler is in a hospital gown with his head wrapped in gauze and wires sticking out all connected to a weird plastic box that he carries around like a messenger bag. 

I can tell ya, EVERY person will be looking at you. Works every time. One older lady was chuckling and asked me, "So, what do you do in your spare time?" I told her, "I'm in the Army. That's what I do in my 'spare time' 2 days a month." The lady next to her said "Wow! Well thanks for your service!" Then I said, "The Army is easy! This is the hard stuff: being a mom!"

The nurse came and took us back to the room again and Philippe's eyes were really bothering him. While we were waiting for the eye doctor Philippe curled up on the chair to take a nap :( 



It was so cute and so sad. I wanted to hold him and hug him, but Belle was still asleep on my shoulder, and I can't hold both my kids all the time or my arms would fall off. My shoulder still isn't quite 100% since I dislocated it a few months ago. 

The doctor came in and flashed the light in Philippe's eyes and said "oh, he likes to wiggle." I said, "Yeah, he's 3!" He told me for the exam he uses the metal claws to hold open the eyes to get a good look deep into the back,  so he said we have to see a pediatric ophthalmologist instead, since they're used to little guys that like to wiggle around. I was so bugged!!! We didn't even make this appointment, the nurses just tell us where to go and we just show up. I told him we flew all the way from Utah and our last appointment is tomorrow, could he just look at him since his eyes were already dilated? He said no and told me we'd need to go to the desk and try to make an appointment and hope we get one before we fly back home. This made me even more mad because when you're a patient admitted into the hospital they coordinate all the appointments for you, you don't make your own appointments. 

I went over to the desk to make the appointment, but there were a few people ahead of us that wanted to chat forever. So after 30 minutes (I'm not exaggerating, I timed it because I was that mad!) it was our turn. The girl at the counter had half a brain and said since his eyes were already dilated it'd be dumb to have to leave and come back and dilate his eyes again. So she called the pediatric ophthalmologist who said he would see him. We went to the waiting room, but a new pediatric optholmologist was there for her first day, and their computer system was being updated that day too, so they were really far behind. After sitting there for over an hour, they finally took us back. I held Philippe on my lap while a nurse held Belle a minute. The doctor (who went to the U of U!) had one of those magnifying things on his head that dentists and doctors wear, and he had another magnifying glass in his hand that he held in front of Philippe's eyes and flashed a light into them. He said "His eyes look great. No nerve damage", I was like, "wait a minute, that was it? That was the whole exam?!" He was confused and was like "Yep. That's it". I said "So we don't need to give him anesthesia or use the metal claws or anything like the other doctor said?!" He said, "Nope. Wait, what other doctor?" I told him what happened and he apologized and said the other doctor could have done the exam just as easily he just needed to get a backbone. I WAS FUMING!!! We'd been there for 3 hours! And we'd missed our lunch by now! (And Heaven & Marcel know I get cranky when I don't eat!) I wanted to punch someone, anyone, especially that eye doctor that sent us away! And then punch whoever had made us an appointment with him, instead of a pediatric eye doctor in the first place! 


No comments:

Post a Comment