Thursday, August 16, 2012

Our journey to Cleveland (Part 1: Salt Lake Airport)

August 13, 2012

A day I'll always remember. It started at midnight. I was on standby and wasn't sure if I'd get a seat on the plane. They had exactly 2 empty seats: 1 for Philippe and 1 for me with Belle on my lap. The problem was my sister, Crystle, was coming with us to help me... but they didn't have a seat for her. So I boarded the plane alone with 2 kids: my 3-year old Philippe, and my 4-month old newborn, Belle. I was feeling overwhelmed, terrified, and completely inadequate. The 2 empty seats were in row 5 and 21. I went to row 21 thinking maybe 1 person would want to trade seats and move up to the front of the plane, which would give me a seat next to my son. I made my way to the back of the plane holding 2 kids, a big diaper bag and a heavy backpack. The entire plane was full; everyone watched my struggle, some sympathetic, some in awe at me carrying so much, some just plain annoyed that I was holding up the flight, but none offered to help. 


 When I got to row 21 there were 2 middle-aged, rather large individuals. The man seemed completely willing to move to row 5, but the grumpy woman snapped "No! We're traveling together! We're not splitting up" so I made my way back to row 5 only to see a man and his small son sitting next to the empty seat. I was obviously not going to ask that they split up. Exhausted, embarrassed, and wanting to bawl, I set Philippe down. He saw a million lights and buttons in the open cockpit so he dashed in and interrupted the pilots' conversation. They both turned, stunned at the intruder, and smiled at my son. While I was getting Philippe out of the cockpit the flight attendants had  jumped in and asked 2 people across the aisle in row 5 if they'd mind switching seats, and they had both agreed, giving me 2 adjacent seats.

I tried to get my bags and kids situated, but didn't have enough hands. I finally asked for help. A girl across the aisle held my baby for a moment and I buckled Philippe, stowed the bags, then snuggled Belle in my arms. We were off...

- Candice

No comments:

Post a Comment