Thursday, August 16, 2012

Part 3: Seizure


This questions has come up a billion times. "What if Philippe has a seizure on the plane?!" Now I know the answer is this: I hand Belle off to the couple across the aisle, I unbuckle Philippe (because his head juts forward and down onto his chest so he can't breathe unless he's lying flat on his back). I hold him lying flat above the arm rest in my arms. Meanwhile a flight attendant rushes over and asks what she can do to help. I tell her "nothing, I just can't buckle him in. It lasts 20 minutes so we just wait it out". She rushes off then runs back to tell me to take him to the back row of the plane because the arm rest goes up so I can lay him across the seats instead of holding his stiff, shaking body for 20 minutes. By the way, the woman in the last row that moved across the aisle so I could use that row just happens to be a nurse and she said she'll help with whatever I need. So I just chat with the nurse while Philippe continues to seize, until it's over. 

After the seizure finished I took Philippe back to our seats and buckled him in because we were starting the landing. The other flight attendant came over and gave me 2 pillows and a blanket to prop up Philippe's head since he always passes out after a seizure and sleeps for 3-4 hours. Belle was still fast asleep and the lady was loving holder her, since she has 2 sons at home, but not any girls of her own. 

When we landed, as usual I waited until everyone was off the plane. Before I stood up to get off the plane the flight attendants, some airport attendants, and even the 2 pilots grabbed by bags, my kids, Philippe's blanket, the stroller, and Belle's carseat, and walked me to the gate inside the airport. Before I knew it I was left with nothing to carry. I walked along side the entourage feeling silly because I was empty-handed while everyone else did everything for me, which never happens. 

We'd finally made it to Cleveland! The search for medical answers was now under-way.

- Candice

Candice with sleeping Belle & Philippe
at the entrance of the Cleveland Clinic.

1 comment:

  1. You are an incredible woman. An incredible family. We are praying for answers!

    ReplyDelete